Races begin at 10:30am or upon completion of pre-race weigh in and inspections.
Have a child interested in participating in the event? Oregon Soap Box Derby Club has Loaner Cars. They loan them out via contract on a first come, first served basis. Please note that cars are assigned based on weight and overall size of the participant.
Anyone wishing to take the leap into competitive zucchini racing should possess the following: a zucchini, a sense of humor, creativity, and basic but sound engineering skills (because it’s hard to win if your zucchini racer falls apart before the finish line).
Registration begins at 9, race heats begin at 11:00am.
Participants will be separated into one of three age groups: 5 and under, 6 to 14, and 15 and over. Each group will then have a lightweight and heavyweight division.
This event is FREE to participate in.
- Pairs of zucchini race cars will be released from a launching ramp, first to cross the finish line wins. If no car reaches the finish line, the car that made it the furthest down the ramp is awarded the victory.
- Any size zucchini can enter but the maximum allowable wheel width from outside to outside of the widest wheels must be no more than 12 inches.
- No kind of engine or mechanical drive system, including rubber bands, will be allowed.
- No plumping (adding additional weight) is allowed; winners will be inspected for weight-enhancing stuffing.
- Race car must be made of a real zucchini and must be the main part of the entry. Zucchini may be purchased or home-grown.
- Wheel axles must be incorporated into the zucchini itself. It’s not acceptable to just attach a zucchini to an existing “vehicle” that rolls. This means no attaching a zucchini to a skateboard, roller skate, toy car, etc.
- Zucchini racer must have 3 or 4 wheels. Wheels can be any type – wooden, metal, vegetable, or plastic.
- Zucchini may be dressed or decorated.
- Each entry (zucchini and wheels) will be weighed upon entry and paired with comparable entries.
- In the case of fatal accidents, competitors must remove the remains.
- Prizes will be awarded. PRIZES (TBA)
For more details or an entry form, please email [email protected]